1. Freund’s Barramundi Fillet (1 per person), from Freund’s Fish Market.
2. Freund’s House Seasoning (1 small jar) – you probably already have this in your pantry.
3. Freund’s homemade Tomato Jam (1 package for approximately 4 fillets).
4. Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter – we hope you have this in your refrigerator already.
5. Italian Vegetable Blend from your favorite supermarket’s freezer section (usually comes in 1 pound packages); and Wild Rice Blend, also from your favorite supermarket (also usually comes in a 1 pound bag).
1. Remove the Barramundi from the refrigerator, pat dry and season both side with Freund’s House Seasoning. Set aside.
2. Prepare the Wild Rice Blend according to package directions.
3. Take a heavy duty skillet and place over medium-high heat. Pour approximately ½ inch of water, 2 tablespoons of Freund’s (parve) Garlic Butter, and 1 teaspoon of Freund’s House Seasoning into the skillet. Add the Italian Vegetable Blend and cover.
4. Bring the water to a boil and turn to a simmer and cook the Italian Vegetable Blend covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the cover and cook until almost all of the water has evaporated.
5. Take another heavy duty skillet and place over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, pour 3 tablespoons of canola oil into the skillet. Next, place the Barramundi into the skillet and cook 4 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until it reaches the desired doneness.
6. The Barramundi should be a nice golden brown when you remove it from the skillet.
7. When the Barramundi is finished cooking, remove it to paper towels and let any excess oil drain from it.
8. To Plate: Place the vegetables in the center of the plate, in a line from one side to the other. Then place the rice in a mound next to it. Next, place the Barramundi on the side of the vegetable opposite the rice – but place it slightly over the edge of the vegetables in order to give the fish a bit of a tilt without completely covering the vegetables. Now, spoon a bit of the Tomato Jam on top of the fish. Sprinkly the edge of the plate with a little dry parsley for garnish. If you’re using a white plate, then use just a pinch of paprika for color.
Chef Says: “Tomato Jam is not what you think; it’s a little sweet and slightly savory. If you like tomatoes, then I’m sure you will like this. If you’re familiar with Moroccan Tomato Jam, then you will find this one a little different. The one we make here is similar to the one made in the Deep South of the United States.”